The Striders League was introduced in 2006 to support the team captains in encouraging Club Members to enter and participate in Hampshire Road Race League and Today’s Runner Cross Country League (now renamed the Southern Cross Country League (SCCL)) races. The League was the source of some fun during its inaugural season and created extra interest between club members as the season progressed.
The League is split into two competitions, one male and one female. In addition to the aim of increasing participation and members scoring points for taking part, runners can challenge themselves to improve against the Club Standards. The standards can be found on the Website, each runner can score extra points the better they do against their own age banding. In order to encourage members to take participate in as many races as possible, additional bonus points are awarded to those who compete in at least 50% of the SCCL and HRRL (and the three additional road races). Acquisition of these bonus points can have a significant effect on the final results.
Rules for the 2016-2017 Season
The rules governing the award of league points are unchanged from those for the 2015-16 season:
1. The qualifying road races will consist of all 12 of the HRRL events and three additional road races as detailed in the tables below.
2. The qualifying cross country races will consist of all of the SCCL events as given in the table below.
2. Qualifying Race Events
2.1. Road Race Events
For the 2016-2017 season, the Striders League comprises of all 12 of the HRRL events and three additional road races as listed below:
|Overton 5M||4th September 2016|
|Solent Half Marathon||9th October 2016|
|Gosport Half Marathon||20th November 2016|
|Hayling 10M||27th November 2016|
|Victory 5M||4th December 2016|
|Stubbington 10K||15th January 2017|
|Ryde 10M||5th February 2017|
|Eastleigh 10K||19th March 2017|
|Salisbury 10M||9th April 2017|
|Alton 10M||7th May 2017|
|Netley 10K||21st May 2017|
|Lordshill 10K||25th June 2017|
Non HRRL events
|Portsmouth Half Marathon|12th February 2017|
|Bramley 10/20M (choice left to runner)|19th February 2017|
|Fordingbridge Fire Station 10K|30th April 2017|
Note: Some fixtures and dates are provisional. Please check your entry carefully.
2.2. SCCL Events
The SCCL events qualifying for points in the League are as follows:
|Pamber Forest, Tadley||8th October 2017|
|Queen Elizabeth Country Park||12th November 2017|
|Bourne Woods, Farnham||10th December 2017|
|Lord Wandsworth College, nr Odiham||31st December 2017|
|Manor Farm Country Park||21st January 2018|
|Haslemere, Polecat Valley||tbc February 2018|
3.1. Basic Scoring
The scoring system is as follows:
- 4 points for completing a road race league race whilst running for Denmead Striders.
- 2 additional points for achieving a bronze standard performance.
- 3 additional points for achieving a silver standard performance.
- 4 additional points for achieving a gold standard performance.
- 5 additional points for achieving a platinum standard performance.
- 5 points for completing a XC league race whilst running for Denmead Striders.
3.2. Bonus Points
In order to encourage the fullest possible participation in the League events, on completion of the SCCL and HRRL seasons, bonus points will be awarded, dependent on the number of events completed.
The bonus points are awarded to individuals as follows:
- 16 points for completion of 12 league road races
- 15 points for completion of 11 league road races
- 14 points for completion of 10 league road races
- 13 points for completion of 9 league road races
- 12 points for completion of 8 league road races
- 11 points for completion of 7 league road races
- 10 points for completion of 6 league road races
- 10 points for completion of 6 SCCL races.
- 9 points for completion of 5 SCCL races.
- 8 points for completion of 4 SCCL races.
The bonus point system will be split into two separate sections one for the road races the other for cross country, with all scores added to give final totals.
The League will run throughout the season with all paid-up members being eligible, results will be updated on the website as soon as possible after each race.
For further information on the Championship or if anyone thinks I have made an error in allocation of their points (I’m not infallible!!!) please contact Graham Clarke either by e-mail or on Club Night.